Healthy Scotch Eggs Recipe
One of my favourite things about our food blog is that we focus on turning traditional 'treats' or 'snacks' into healthy alternatives that you can have at anytime.
That's why this week I decided to make my all time favourite - healthy scotch eggs.
This healthy scotch eggs recipe uses lean chicken and ground almonds making this traditional treat high in good quality protein and low in carbs.
Try these out for yourself, they're awesome!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
What you need
- 1.1 Ibs. (500g) chicken breasts
- 4 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3-4 sage leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp flour of choice
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
What to do
1. In a medium sized pan, bring water to a simmer. Lower 4 eggs into the water and simmer for 6 minutes. Once ready cool in cold water.
2. In the meantime, place the chicken, onion, garlic, sage and thyme in a food processor or high speed blender and blitz until combined. Divide into 4 portions and set aside.
3. Now prepare to assemble the eggs. Put the beaten egg, flour and ground almonds in separate bowls. Then peel the eggs.
4. Coat the eggs in flour. Then using wet hands, wrap each egg in the a portion of the chicken mixture. Next roll the chicken-wrapped eggs in the flour, then in the beaten egg and finally roll it in the ground almonds.
5. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a non stick pan and fry the scotch eggs for 5-6 minutes, turning over until cooked throughout and browned on all sides. Add the second tbsp of oil if necessary during the cooking.
6. Place the fried eggs on kitchen paper for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition per serving
Like it? Share it!